Thursday, April 2, 2009

Michael Levin

When I searching for a photographer to write about, Michael Levin's works drew my attention the most. As I went to his website, I found out the reasons were the sharpness and the simplicity.
Michael Levin, one of the most popular photographer in these days, was named the 'photographer of the year' at the 06/07 International Photography Awards. American fine art magazine FOCUS declared "Michael Levin's captivating images are soulful and evocative". He likes to use long exposures so that what remains in the landscape feels essential and revealed. He shoots simple subjects in his different point of view, which gives them extra weight and value.



This one is called "Bamboo". The subject of this photo is very simple. Yet, it is just the simplicity create a different feeling. It is extremely focus that we can see the texture on the bamboo clearly. Michael Levin also inverted the black and white, which separate this shot from the others furthermore.



This one is called Zebrato. The simplicity is as significant as all the other ones. The clouds are kind of blurry while the other parts stay extremely sharp, which shows the long exposure Michael Levin uses. The lower part of the image is so sharp as if it was created by the computer. Yet, Michael Levin told us by his photo: Nature can have it done much better. The photo are almost symmetrical except there is a manlike figure on the left part of the board.




Those are all Michael Levin's works. Their sharpness, great details, contrast and gradual change from light to dark are almost perfect. Just enjoy.

1 comment:

Mr. Patteson said...

Those are neat images. I like your thoughtful commentary, though I would like a little more in the background section, and your response to his work overall, not just to the individual images.